'Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking...'

Sunday, March 8, 2015

a translation...

Tomorrow, at daybreak... (Demain, dès aube...), Victor Hugo



Tomorrow, at daybreak, when the land whitens,
I will depart. You see, I know you await me.
I will go by the forest, I will go by the mountain.
I can remain far from you no longer.

I will walk with eyes fixed on my thoughts,
seeing nothing outside, hearing no sound,
alone, unknown, back bent, and hands crossed,
sad, and the day for me will be as night.

I will not regard the golden dusk that falls,
nor the far sails going down to Harfleur,
and when I arrive, I will place on your tomb
a bouquet of green holly and heather in flower. 


The original:

Demain, dès l'aube, à l'heure où blanchit la campagne,
Je partirai. Vois-tu, je sais que tu m'attends.
J'irai par la forêt, j'irai par la montagne.
Je ne puis demeurer loin de toi plus longtemps.

Je marcherai les yeux fixés sur mes pensées,
Sans rien voir au dehors, sans entendre aucun bruit,
Seul, inconnu, le dos courbé, les mains croisées,
Triste, et le jour pour moi sera comme la nuit.

Je ne regarderai ni l'or du soir qui tombe,
Ni les voiles au loin descendant vers Harfleur,
Et quand j'arriverai, je mettrai sur ta tombe
Un bouquet de houx vert et de bruyère en fleur.

No comments:

Post a Comment